Wednesday, September 03, 2008

S.A.H.

Four years, seven months and two days ago something happened in my life that changed me forever. At 4:42pm, Saraya Ashlyn was born. Little did I know how much emotion could come over me so quickly for someone that wasn't even apart of my life moments earlier. Time is an odd thing. It can seem to pass so slow at times, and other times it moves at a rapid pace. It seems like I blinked and it's instantly time for her to go to Pre-K.

Last week, Saraya and I went to Target and she got to pick out a new lunchbag for school. She was so funny in there.... making a line on the shelf of all her options. And of course she picked, (drum roll please) Hannah Montanama. (That's what she calls her) Does she watch Hannah Montana you ask? No she doesn't. She's seen snips of songs on the Disney channel and she is facinated by the fact that she sings and performs and has costumes. So there ya have it.

I have been pretty okay with the whole Pre-K thing. Since I work, I usually only bring her up here with me once every couple weeks. We have the priviledge of her getting to stay with either Grandma (James' mom) or Ibe (my mom). So I'm used to not seeing her everyday all day long. But when we dropped her off at her classroom my heart began to hurt. To know that she's starting a process of learning and experienceing life on her own. A process I want her to have, yet in the back of my mind, I know this will only give her wings, and one day she'll leave the nest. So as she hugged and kissed me bye (after running into the room without a second thought of us!!!) I did get choked up.
Knowing how excited she is about her class makes things so much easier. And knowing that she's learning great skills to take her into Kindergarten makes it worth it. I've known her teacher since high school, and I got a post on Facebook from her after school on Tuesday. It sounds like Saraya is the same little girl in class as she is at home with us. Loves to learn, loves to interact, loves to help, and loves to be a leader (sometimes that turns into bossy - but we know where she gets that! gotta love first born girls!!!!). I am very proud of her. Already, at four years old, she has a fun personality, and has so many great qualities. I will enjoy watching her grow into a woman.

5 comments:

Michele said...

Bitter sweet! I'm so glad that she enjoyed it! She looks sweet in her pictures! So grown up! Tough stuff! Abby decided she was done with school Monday night because she had already been there. I was so afraid that Tuesday morning would be a nightmare, but she was ready to go come Tuesday morning and she said it was the best day EVER! Saraya was telling Ty Monday that he had to grow up a little bit like her and then he could go to school, she cracks me up! Time goes by so quickly! We will be old farts before you know it, (like James) Hehehe JUST KIDDING!!!! Love ya

Amanda said...

What's with Hannah Montanna? My kids have picked up the craze too! Even Addie tries to do some dance with a lot of shaking and wiggling while singing some song that I've never even heard.

Saraya is so sweet! I'm sure her teacher will love having her! How do you get her to pose for pics so well? Please teach me! All my pics of my kids are a blurry streak or some awkward smile.

Misty said...

Glad things are going so well. She is such a cutie-her teacher and classmates can't help be love her!

Lesley said...

E and I are laying here looking at pictures on your blog. When he saw the one of Saraya standing in her classroom he said, "Why is Saraya just standing there?" I said I don't know. He then said, "well, is she allergic to school or sumpin?!" :)

H.T. said...

I hope school is still going good for Saraya. Isn't there a peace in knowing her teacher? That's great. Does she still want to go? Ross informed me this morning that he was "tired of school & it was boring."