Thursday, July 17, 2008

the smell of pigskin is in the air.....

I love football. (Not as much as basketball of course) I love football games. I love to bundle up. I love to cheer on my team. (Reigning Super Bowl Champs I might add!!!) I love watching games on Sunday afternoons. I love playing fantasy football. I love having a friend that loves football too. And that friend is Cristi.


She called me up earlier this week and asked if I wanted to go to the women's only Football Clinic at ASU. Of course I was up for it!! We didn't really know what to expect. But it was a BLAST! Here we are with jerseys on that they let us wear all night.
They fed us (from Outback!) out on the balcony overlooking the field. Then we went into a room and reviewed tape, talked about football equipment, we met some football players. One was QB Corey Leonard, to which Cristi leans over and asked me "do you think he'd remember us?" (he spoke at our church last fall) and I replied, "I highly doubt it". Then we played a game. They drew names and Cristi was a lucky winner! We had just gone over how to dress in full uniform, and the team had to dress one of their members. Cristi was the one they dressed and her team won!!! Their team got sports bags for winning. And she got to keep the wristbands.

We had two sessions, one on defense and one on offense. It was very interesting and I feel like I learned a lot. We then toured the facility, and ended up on the field. That was the best part. They let us do all kinds of drills. My personal favorite was pushing the sled. Here's a picture of me about to push the sled. (Cristi wasn't so good at the taking of pictures. Bless her heart.)

We also attempted to kick a field goal. I have a new respect for kickers. It was WAY harder than I thought it was going to be. I got this great picture of Cristi kicking. You can see the ball just a few feet off the ground.

Then we went in and they gave out prizes. Cristi racked up tonight! She won a digital photo frame!!! We raced home to see if we'd be on the news. Cristi was... in her full uniform, jumping up and down and striking her muscle pose. (I know Jake was proud) The only problem was she was in a helmet and no one knew who she was! :-( But never fear. There's always Occasions Magazine. They saw a great opportunity to take our picture with the field in the background, so we're holding out hope that they'll make us famous!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

sounds like a blast! And you look adorable in your little uniform. :)

Lesley said...

Looks like loads of fun :)

FYI...Cristi was quoted in the Sun today.

Randi House said...

How fun! Dana I love how spontaneous you are! I envy that!

Randi House said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Because you sound like football fans, be sure to check out my new book titled "Game-Day Goddess: Learning Football's Lingo." The book's available from Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble.com. If you want to learn about football painlessly, this is the amusing, informative guide for you.

Suzy Beamer Bohnert, author, "Game-Day Goddess: Learning Football's Lingo" and "Binkie Learns to Fly"