Saturday, June 14, 2008

Last Saturday




The past six months, God has shined a flashlight, no, a flood light on an area that I need to work on.... selfishness. I have a knack for getting so caught up in my own world, that I actually think everything is about me. God has given me a desire this year to serve others. I'm not a fan of throwing money at stuff, I believe we should give up more to really be blessed by our actions. To give up our time and effort is much more of a sacrifice.

When I met with Christine and Misty (my fellow SHE Group leaders) we really wanted to make 2008 different than last year. We all three agreed that as a group we wanted to serve others.

I have a GREAT girl in my cell group. Lesley is amazing. The way she has grown in the last year, inspires me to continue in my walk. She works at the Women's Crisis Center and takes in abused women and children. It's a job that she does with great passion and much compassion. I really don't know if I could do it. We talked to her about doing volunteer work as our outreach this year.

Volunteering at the Crisis Center is amazing to me. I feel so overwhelmed with emotions when I'm there. I become aware that there are hurting people right here in Jonesboro that need to be served, and shown the love of Jesus. I become aware that the world does not revolve around me. Being a servant is something that I still have to purpose to do. One day I hope that it's second nature for me to serve others instead of serving myself.

On a lighter note, we were sorting through some donations and putting them away, and we found some great shoes from the 70's. Lesley assured us that they would never be put to use so three of us girls decided they needed to see the light of day at least one more time! Yep, we wore them to church the next day!! Mine were really cool but they killed my feet.

1 comment:

Lesley said...

Dana,

Your one of the most selfless people I know. Much more so than you give yourself credit for. You are an inspiration to me. Love you!