Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My chains are gone.....

That's one of my favorite lines. And it appears in two of my favorite songs. Chris Tomlin's Amazing Grace (My Chains are Gone) and Mercyme's God With Us. The chorus to God With Us stays with me most days.

"All that is within me cries, for You alone be glorified. Emmanuel, God with us. My heart sings a brand new song, the debt is paid, these chains are gone. Emmanuel, God with us."

What an amazing thought. What freedom. What release. I can drop the chains and be free.

Yet, once I'm free from something, I think everyone should be free from it. Right? If it's not a struggle for me, it shouldn't be a struggle for anyone I know. If I can get it together, anyone can. And shame on them for not having it together. Shame on them for not being where I am. Because obviously I have it all together.

What a sad place to be in, to be so judgemental. To be the typical "holier-than-thou" Christian. Every Christian I know, has faults and struggles. They may not choose to be transparent about them, but they're still there. Wouldn't it be so much easier, to accept your brother or sister in Christ where they are? With grace and mercy, just like our Heavenly Father accepts us. How much more would we be like Christ if we could extend that to others? To help them in their walk, instead of condemn them. To love them for trying to change, instead of pointing fingers. No matter how far we think we've gotten in our Christian walk, we're still not perfect. We never will be. We will never reach the bar that Christ has set for us. Why act like we have? Just because I'm two steps in front of someone else, doesn't mean my walk is more impressive, because the walk that Christ lived out on this earth will forever be miles in front of mine.

4 comments:

Lesley said...

My thoughts exactly. Truely amazing.

Amanda said...

Amen!
BTW, PC4PC?...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=PC4PC

mamawest777 said...

wow! Your last line is going on fb as one of my favorite quotes. That was awesome, Dana!

Michele said...

u go on and preach it my sister! Good stuff!